Who am I?
I’ve been advising people like you – people of all ages and from all backgrounds – on diet and nutrition since 2001 when I qualified as a dietitian.
In accordance with UK law I’m registered with and regulated by the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) (you can verify this here). I’m also a full member of the British Dietetic Association, and keep up to date by attending lots of courses and being a member of various professional practice groups including the paediatric, mental health, and gastroenterology groups.
I’ve got a Masters degree in Nutrition and Dietetics, and over a decade of experience working as a dietitian in the NHS and independently, so you can trust that I have excellent knowledge of the science of nutrition and of tailoring advice to fit in with your life.
I have experience advising on dietary conditions from the everyday – healthy eating, weaning babies, toddler faddy eating, help with gaining or losing weight, eating better for diabetes, or heart disease – to the more specialised, such as food allergies, autism, metabolic disorders, epilepsy, and IBS. I’ve also written for professional publications and been involved in various research and audit projects.
My approach is professional and based on the best available evidence and consensus, whilst being open to contemporary and ‘alternative’ takes on nutrition. I’m friendly and supportive if you find dietary change difficult (and who doesn’t?).
My HCPC registration is your assurance that I’m appropriately qualified, keep up my knowledge and skills to the standards set by UK law, and practise within a strict professional code of conduct. I’m also registered with the Information Commissioner to abide by the Data Protection Act in accordance with UK law.
I trade under nutritionnutrition ltd – the nutrition consultancy company I set up in 2007.
I’m based in South Warwickshire, and am a keen traveller and enjoy learning languages, gardening, walking and good food.
- Nutrition Resource of the Year 2015 for the Autism for Dietitian Masterclasses as voted for by readers of Complete Nutrition magazine.
- Paediatric Nutrition Professional of the Year 2014 as voted for by readers of Complete Nutrition magazine.
- MScR Masters by Research (Coventry University, 2018)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (London Metropolitan University, 2016)
- MSc Nutrition and Dietetics with distinction (Leeds Metropolitan University 2004)
- Post Graduate Diploma Nutrition and Dietetics (Leeds Metropolitan University 2001)
- BSc Biochemistry with Molecular Biology with first class honours (Cardiff University 1999)
My current posts:
- Paediatric Dietitian at Lewisham Hospital, South London (part-time since July 2014)
- Freelance Dietitian and Nutrition Consultant and business owner since 2007
Previous Professional Experience:
- 2014-16 Senior Lecturer in Dietetics and Nutrition at London Metropolitan University – training the next generation of dietitians
- 2013-14 Neonatal Network Dietitian for Southern West Midlands Newborn Network and Birmingham Childrens Hospital – advising on the nutrition of sick and preterm newborns in 7 neonatal intensive care units across the Midlands.
- 2007-13 NHS locum work as an adult and paediatric dietitian including at Oxford Children’s Hospital, NHS Enfield Community Services, South Staffordshire and Sandwell
- 2006-7 Nutrition Advisor in Indonesia with an international development organisation, tackling malnutrition in the under-5s through work with local field workers and non-government organisations.
- 2001-6 NHS Dietitian – at Guy’s, St Thomas’s and Lewisham Hospitals in London, from 2001-3, then Ealing Hospital as the sole children’s dietitian from 2003-4, then as specialised children’s community dietitian for Bromley PCT, Kent from 2004-6.
- Experience of working with all different food and nutrition issues including nutrition support and artificial tube feeding for cancer, HIV, cystic fibrosis, stroke, Parkinson’s, MND and MS, intensive care and special care baby units; dietary management and behavioural change counselling for gut problems, allergies, obesity, underweight, diabetes and heart disease; group sessions for childhood obesity for 8 to 11 year olds; healthy eating, obesity service planning and health promotion. Specialties are children’s diets particularly feeding and weaning problems, selective eating, allergy, autism and learning disabilities.
Additional professional training and conferences attended include:
General paediatrics, allergy and gastroenterology:
- Paediatric Growth Hot Topics – London, April 2016
- BSACI Allergy and Gut Revisited study day – London, November 2015
- 8th Allergy Academy Food Allergy Day – London, May 2014
- 2nd International Conference on Nutrition and Growth, 3 days January 2014 Barcelona, Spain
- Neonatal Dietitians Group Meeting (NDIG) January 2014
- Nutrition Society 2 day Winter Meeting – Diet, gut microbiology and human health – December 2013
- Gluten and Food Related Disorders Study Day – Worcester University, June 2012
- British Dietetic Association Specialist Paediatric Dietetics Modules 1-4 – 2003-13
- Nutrition and Health Conference, London, November 2011
Child feeding problems:
- Behavioural Feeding – Working Better Together – Evelina Children’s Hospital Study Day November 2014
- SOS Approach to Feeding – 3 day basic course 2013, 2 day advanced course July 2014 taught by Kay Toomey, clinical psychologist
- Baby Sense Course – helping fussy babies – by Meg Faure OT – 2014
- Pediatric Feeding Seminar – 4 days – June 2011 in New York
- Dietitians in Autism group meetings June 2014
- Autism West Midlands Annual Conference, Birmingham – June 2014
- Autism, Mental Health and Wellbeing by Studio III – April 2014
- Working with ASD – Is it Sensory is it Behaviour? – 4 day course by Betty Paris PT and Carolyn Murray-Slutskyby OT – May 2014
- Durham Jubilee Autism Conference – 2 days – April 2014
- Discovering the Possibilities with Visual Strategies – by Linda Hodgdon – distance learning, July 2013
- Social Stories 10.1© Immersion Two-Day Workshop – taught by Carol Grey – June 2013
- From Autism to Alzheimer’s International Conference – 2 days – November 2012, London
- Pathological Demand Avoidance workshop – by Autism West Midlands, July 2012
- Treating Autism conference, London, September 2010
Emotional and intuitive eating:
- Intuitive Eating PRO Skills TeleSeminar training course – taught by Evelyn Tribole, Dietitian, June 2011
- Understanding Your Eating licensed practitioner training – basic and advanced 2010 and 2011 taught by Julia Buckroyd, Professor of Counselling
Sports nutrition and anthropometry:
- Clinical Sports Dietetics 4 day training course at the Australian Institute of Sport by Greg Cox and Greg Shaw Dietitians, 2008
- ISAK Level 1 Anthropometry 2 day course 2008
Nutrition and health in developing countries:
- Voluntary Services Overseas pre-departure training courses 2006
- Public Health in Emergencies 5 day course by Red-R 2006
Some of my published Works:
- The chapter Autistic Spectrum Disorders (Nov 2014) in the key text book Clinical Paediatric Dietetics (4th Edition) edited by Vanessa Shaw. Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford. ISBN: 978-0-470-65998-4
- Articles for the professional magazine Complete Nutrition including Cows’ Milk Allergy (2012). CN; Vol 12, No.3
- The sub-chapter Autism (2009) in Food Hypersensitivity – diagnosis, management and treatment of food allergy and intolerance. Edited by I Skypala and C Venter. Blackwell Publishing Ltd, Oxford.
- Autistic Spectrum Disorders (June 2007) in Clinical Paediatric Dietetics (3rd Edition) edited by Vanessa Shaw and Margaret Lawson, p504-522. Blackwell Publishing Ltd, Oxford. ISBN 9781405134934.
- Autism Food Facts – British Dietetic Association Food Fact Sheets. Read it on the BDA website here>
Speaking appointments have included:
- June 2016 – British Dietetic Association Mental Health Group AGM
- November 2015 – Autism and Diet workshop in Glasgow for medicaCPD
- October 2015 – evening talks on Autism Spectrum Disorder and Diet for paediatric dietitians in Cardiff and Reading for Abbott Nutrition
- November 2014 – Q&A at ASD support group for Autism West Midlands, Birmingham
- September 2014 – Managing Overweight and Obesity in Autism Spectrum Disorders at the British Dietetic Association joint Paediatric Group and Dietitians in Obesity Management (DOMUK) study day Childhood Obesity Beyond Healthy Eating And Being More Active
- June 2014 – Diet and Autism – Current Thinking at The Autism Show, London
- June 2014 – Diet and Autism Workshop at Autism West Midlands Annual Conference, Birmingham
- June 2014 – Autism – what’s new at the British Dietetic Association Mental Health Group Annual Conference, Northampton
- June 2014 – Autism Spectrum Disorder at the Nutrition and Neuroscience symposium, Southampton
- June 2014 – Autism Spectrum Condition for Dietitians – 2 webinars for Education in Nutrition, Australia (recordings available to purchase online via the link)
- May 2014 – Diet and Autism – Primary Care Conference, Birmingham
- April 2014 – The Role of Dietitians in Autism – an overlooked profession at The Durham Jubilee Autism Conference
- March 2014 – Autism West Midlands conference
- February 2014 – Autism and Diet for St Andrews Healthcare, Northampton
- October 2013 – Autism for Dietitians – a 2 Day Masterclass, organiser and speaker, Birmingham
- February 2013 – Feeding problems and current dietary practices in children with ASD in England – at ATTEM conference in Valencia, Spain
- September 2012 – Diet, nutrition and eating workshop for Autism West Midlands
Last modified on.